Castles, Dwellings and Memorials of Clan MacLachlan
Please click the Donate button
below to make your donation
Directions From Inverary
From Inveraray on Loch Fyne, the
shortest route is to take the main road A83 North from Inverary about 10 miles
around the top of Loch Fyne. Then turn south on A815 for another 10 miles down
the opposite shore of Loch Fyne to Strachur, the village closest to the castles.
To visit Old Castle Lachlan and Kilmorie Chapel proceed south four miles on
A886 along the shore of Loch Fyne, then turn down a single track road
B8000 to Strathlachlan and Castle Lachlan.
single track road enroute to Strathlachlan
to Strathlachlan Map
piper to play "Fyne Theme Medley - MacLachlan's Wedding/Stu's Hornpipe"
by the Hawera Highland Pipe Band, the Official Band of Clan MacLachlan,
- Built sometime between the 13th
and 15th centuries; setting of the actual date is under scholarly debate.
- Has a unique design in Scotland.
Outward appearance is of a large keep. Interior actually consists of two large
tenements between which is an open court. Tenements are connected along the
- Outside dimensions: 70' north
to south, 54' east to west, 43' to top of battlements
- Situated on the eastern shore
of Loch Fyne near the present day town of Newton. The castle is four miles
- Fortifications were constructed
around the castle for protection.
- Four stories plus cellars and
battlements. All floors shown. Great Hall on second floor is said to have
been used as a "council room and gathering hall on festal occasions".
- Rain water was collected for communal
use in the ground floor well (really a cistern system).
Bride's Chapel (Kilmorie) - Burying Place of the Clan Chiefs
- The chapel's roof was removed
so the building would not be taxed.
- MacLachlan Chiefs are buried in
the chapel. Many of the older graves are covered by stones as ornate as those
carved by the Knights Templar.
- Renovation of the chapel was completed
in 2006; the below photos were taken at the dedication.
Following the dedication ceremony,
the Chief greets Daphne MacLachlan (left) from Australia, and the Lord
Lieutenant MacKinnon in the restored inner crypt. The chapel was likely
part of a medieval church, the stones of which, tradition says, were used
in the construction of the present Strathlachlan parish church and possibly
the present Castle Lachlan.
- Construction started on new castle
in the latter half of the 18th century.
- Property is still owned by the
Ewen - Castle of Clan MacEwen
- The current ruins are little more
than a pile of rocks above otter ferry.
- Property is privately owned and
not easily accessible.
Cairns Around the World
- (top left) Culloden Battlefield
- (top center left) Cairn atop Grandfather
Mountain in Linville, North Carolina. Each clan represented contributed a
stone from their ancestral castle to build the monument.
- (top center right) The plaque
on Grandfather Mountain cairn.
- (top right) Cairn dedicated to
the 42nd Regiment of Foot (the Black Watch) was dedicated on July 5th, 1997,
at Fort Ticonderoga in New York. Several MacLachlans were members of the Black
Watch when the regiment fought the French in 1758 and 1759.
This site is maintained by the Clan
MacLachlan Association of North America, Inc.
This page was last updated on June 22, 2010
© 1996-2010 Clan MacLachlan Association
of North America, Inc.